46th ISHM Congress
3-7 September, 2018
FACULDADE DE MEDICINA
UNIVERSIDADE NOVA DE LISBOA
LISBON NOVA SCHOOL
Location: Campo Mártires da Pátria, Lisboa
Medical History - A World of Discoveries
our website continues to be under construction, we urge you to please come back soon...
Welcome Letter (English, Português, Français)
It is with great pleasure that we announce you the 46th ISHM Congress which will take place in Lisbon, Portugal, on September 3-7, 2018.
Lisbon is one of the most beautiful capitals of Europe while still maintaining the marks of its early history and rich medical heritage. Lisbon ranks as one of the oldest cities in the world. As the legend recounts, Lisbon was founded and named by Ulysses as Ulissipo or Olissipo. Traces from the Roman cult to Aesculapius are still in plain sight, among vestiges of Jewish and Arabic settlements, and its glory as capital of a great empire, leading the trade of Eastern products and exotic materia medica, in the sixteenth century. Museums and monuments near the Tagus river are living islands of our collective memory. Portugal emerged as a nation state in the early 12th century. Notwithstanding, Chalcolithic trepanned skulls already highlight our medical history.
The kind, warm and genuine hospitality of Lisbon’s inhabitants, the richness of its natural, historical, architectonic and artistic heritage, the excellent Portuguese cuisine and the sunny weather, all combine to provide excellent conditions for a productive and a very enjoyable meeting. Also, prices are very attractive when compared with other European cities.
The ISHM 2018 Congress in Portugal promises to be a meeting built upon experience and tradition, and promises to be a truly memorable and valued event for all delegates.
We kindly invite you all to participate and look forward welcoming you in Lisbon!
With kindest regards,
Maria do Sameiro Barroso António Aires Gonçalves Amelia Ricon Ferraz
Local Organizing Committee
Lisbon, the 5th, June
1st Call for Papers
We invite you to please send your abstract including title, author name, affiliation, e-mail address, from 200 up to 300 words, topic number, key words, short bio of 10 lines, and please be sure we receive it by
to the following e-mail address:
Your abstract will be analysed be the Scientific Committee and it will be evaluated as to be considered for an oral presentation or a poster. You will receive an email acknowledging the acceptance of your abstract and the nature of your presentation.
1. Palaeopathology: modern research and scientific approaches
2. Ethomedicines, ancient medicine
3. Women in medicine
4. Hospitals and medical assistance
5. Endemic and epidemic diseases: impact in history and society
6. Poisons, antidotes and forensic medicine
7. Teaching of medicine medical universities and schools
8. History of anatomical thought and procedures
9. Jewish medicine , Arabic and medieval medicine
10. History of surgery, obstetrics and evolution of surgical techniques and instruments
11. Medicine at the Age of the Discoveries: Eastern and Western medicine
12. Medicine in Art and Literature
13. Medical collections and Museums
14. Great figures of medicine
15. Diseases and causes of death in great figures of history, medicine, politics, art and literature
16. Medicine in war context: emergency medicine and discovery of new techniques
17. Other topics
Hotels to be found in Hotel Suggestions
Preliminary Programme in elaboration